Our ‘Values in Action’ series shines a light on how our Caulfield Grammar School employees live our School values.  

Sarah Klein, Head of Yarra Junction Campus, shares how she encourages the value of Living Wholeheartedly in her role. 

I’ve had many highlights working at Caulfield Grammar, big and small moments, all of which have led me to my current role and to who I am as an educator.  

My 12 months in 2017 at Nanjing Campus was a formative experience for me, personally and professionally. I experienced how transformation can occur for young people when we create the conditions to make it possible. It was this experience that inspired me to continue to create and facilitate powerful and transformative learning experiences for our students.  

Since Nanjing I have held numerous roles across Caulfield Grammar’s metropolitan campuses, including as a PE teacher, Learning Mentor and, prior to Yarra Junction, Deputy Head of Campus – Wheelers Hill Secondary. In 2023, I took up the opportunity to lead the Yarra Junction Campus.  

I am a strong believer in the impact and growth that young people experience through immersion and adventure-based programs such as YJ, and the way they can transform through such experiences. Teachers have the opportunity to positively impact a young person’s life trajectory every day, whether that be in a classroom or around a fire; this privilege should never be lost and always be treated with care.  

To have the opportunity to lead our Yarra Junction programs and deliver memorable learning experiences, not to mention leading our highly qualified team of educators, is an experience that has filled me with great pride.  

Living Wholeheartedly is something I try to instil in those around me – embracing the challenges and opportunities that the YJ program has to offer and immersing themselves in the unique environment. 

I am a passionate long-distant runner and have competed in the last two Athletics World Championships Marathon events. I’ve loved making the most of the beautiful trails and tracks that surround the YJ campus and have even managed to recruit (not force) staff and students to join me for a jog.  

Being able to show up to work as my whole self – an educator, a runner, a leader, a person – sharing my journey with the School community, as well as having the privilege of serving the community in leadership roles, are just some of the many highlights of working at Caulfield Grammar.  

I am excited by the future of YJ and am looking forward to the evolution of its programs over the coming years.   

Caulfield Grammar School is a values-led school. Our five School Values guide the way we work together and behave. Active interaction with these values supports our students and staff in having clarity and ownership about what it means to be a member of the Caulfield Grammar School community – how we treat each other, and what we expect from each other.